Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ode to Literature-Perspectives


I love you!

You’re horrid

You fill my life with new adventures!

Why can’t you just stay home???

She said what? No way!

Deal with your own problems!

I’ve never thought about it that way before…

Seriously? Now you’re just ranting

Oh! Oh! Watch out behind you!

Really? The author’s going for that old trick?

That’s so sweet… true love at last!

I think you’re making me sick!

A new chance! A new story!

Another one? Why do you keep assigning us these when you know we don’t read?

I’m so excited!

Somebody poke my eyes out….

Thank you!

Thanks again… (for NOTHING)

16 comments:

  1. Even though the author forgot to put down a name, I'm pretty sure I can guess who wrote this! Excellent job once again, I loved the contrasting lines. Also liked how it was cohesive even if you just focused on the negative perspective or just the positive perspective by just skipping lines.
    - Emily S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I totally understand where you're coming from! Sometimes I feel all of this when I'm reading literature. For example, I'm reading Jane Eyre and in the novel there are parts where Jane's actions aggrivate me so much. There are also times where I can tell what devices Charlotte Bronte uses to foreshadow certain events. Overall, I loved this! Kudos! :)

    -Shelby F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addition:

    *What? Over already?!

    My goodness! Why on earth did that take so long?*

    I love your representation of this common mindset. So many struggle against required reading at one time or another, though I must say Mrs. Elliott's two-option system is wonderfully freeing. In the end, however, the amount and depth of what we read does really impact our abilities. It is true, and I am grateful that our exposure to literature helps prepare us for the future.

    - Tori Greaves

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha! I was literally laughing along with this as I was reading it! And I could definetly relate to the feelings you evoked! I feel like with the books I read, I either fall in love with it and can't put it down, or I dread having to open it again and read more. Great idea actually putting it into words!
    -Sapir L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this poem! It truly captures the writers emotions, and I can relate to the feelings that this poem describes. At time when I am reading certain pieces of work, I become so enthralled in what is going on, I feel as though my thoughts are going to explode! "OH my gosh, Did that really just happen? But How could they do that?" I truly enjoy this poem because it describes how I feel at times when reading certain pieces of work.

    Lexie Cantarero

    ReplyDelete
  7. The conflicting spirits of this poem make it much more interesting than, well any other poem considering I generally do not finish reading poems and I did in this one! It is so true how there are so many different attitudes that people approach their assignments with.

    Scott C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally enjoyed this poem and understand exactly where the author is coming from. Literature is such a topsy-turvy subject: one minute you completely understand the author's perspective and what they are trying to convey, but other times you are just completely stumped and don't know where to start to understand the text.

    -Erin P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I go though this mind set every period of every day. Different attitudes about different aspects of your day affect the quality of work that you do. I know that the type of attitude I bring to my biology class usually yields little to no results in the work that I get done in that class.

    Ryan L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was one of the most entertaining poems I have read in a while. I truely enjoyed the light-heartedness while it dealed with the true emotions of a student reading literature. I have to truely commend you. So how are we supposed to deal with these emotions as we read, because we all know that we all have them. It's so wierd that we totally feel that reading is homework but get completely enthralled at some point in the reading.
    Derek B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha great poem! I think we have all felt this way about literature at one time or another. The contrasting lines show both sides of the story. Thanks for putting our thoughts into words! -Dorothy Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only does this poem represent the different ways people look at books, but also the different ways an individual looks at a book while reading it. Great job!
    -Erica W.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really creative and funny! Although I would always like to have the positive perspective, I at time also have the negative perspective you portrayed in the poem. You did a really good job and I think everyone can relate to this poem! :)

    <3 lisa lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your poem! Whom ever you may be:)I can almost picture you, or someone, sitting down at a desk, with a desk light on, and a giant book on the desk; hair tangled into a mess, as you grab your head, trying to figure an impossible mystery!
    That's what i like about the poem. Puts my thoughts into words in a very realistic picture.



    -Elizabeth Amaya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, amazing. If this doesn't reveal my feelings about literature sometimes, I don't know what does. I also like the way you cleverly mixed the emotions we have regarding literature, with the emotions revealed in literature. So so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the positive feedback! :) I guess I should probably claim ownership of this poem. Sorry I forgot to do it earlier!

    -Shannon D.

    ReplyDelete