Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jane/Tess

The characters, Tess and Jane are both the main characters of the novels Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jane Eyre. Tess of the D'Urbervilles is based on the experiences of Tess. Whereas, Jane Eyre is an autobiographical book about Jane. Since they are both women and so they are subject to discrimination. Tess was raped and was not forced to stay quiet by her attacker. But she couldn't do anything.  Jane on the other hand was beaten by a man her age. A normal human today would rush to her side and put a beating on that man. But instead, nothing was done. But time progressed and things changed. Now if anything of that sort was to happen; the men would be criticized and attacked. It's different and obviously both Jane and Tess would fit in now because even though misfortunes occurred, they both are strong women who were made to be kept quiet. They were already bold and not many ladies in the 1800s were like that. Both characters faced challenges, difficulties and hardships, but they were able to tackle them with their best abilities even with the prejudice and discrimination headed their way just for being women.
-Pavneet K.

11 comments:

  1. It still surprises me on how the world has changed. Even though it was not Tess who made the crime she was blamed for it because she was "A Woman" who had little to say in the workings of society. Even Jane faced the same issue, being beaten and helpless. And all of this just because they were women.
    J. Keagy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about women and how views toward them have changed over the years. It's so sad to me that there was a time when a woman, like Tess, would get raped and she was the one blamed for it. The freedom we as women have today is astounding, especially when compared to what it was in the 19th century. All I know is I'm glad i live in an era where I am free to express myself and not be expected to adhere to such strict standards.

    --Dayna M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still does not fail to impress me when I see people discriminated against due to either their race, gender, or even age. It saddens me to know that a person would dislike another due to what they see on the outside instead of getting to know the person and judge them by their character. Although this type of discrimination is not as blatant as it was in the early ages, it still exists and it's a shame.

    -Erin P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is quite remarkable to read a passage like this. I know as a reader I read and learned about both the situations and actually felt anger at the way this girls were treated and the ignorance of the people around them. To know that there once was a time when these events would be plausible is quite extraordinary to me and I am happy the world has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its pretty depressing to think about the time those women went through, and its surprising to see how times have changed now. No matter how strong a women is in our time, she would not stand a man that beats her or rapes her, and i personally feel thats how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its depressing to think about all the hard times the women went through, and surprising to see how times have changed now. I dont care how strong a women is now, but if a man beats her or rapes her, she wont just stay quiet, and i personally feel thats how it should be

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that Jane and Tess are contradictory characters. Jane has the education and demeanor of a nobelwoman, but lacks noble blood. However, Tess is of noble blood but she lives the crude life of a farmer because of her lack of fortune. Through his portrayal of Tes, I believe that Hardy was trying to convey the changing social classs structure. His book raises the issue that perhaps fortune is the more important factor when determining social class.
    -Rebekah Adeyemo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoight of these same ideas as I was reading Tess. The view on rape in today's society is almost a complete 180 from that of the late 19th century. Not only did the view of the act differ, but the way in which it is handled is another complete turn around. I think the authors made their characters bold because it is a major contrast from most women during their time. They needed this characteristic in order to survive their ordeals. Awesome post, Pavneet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Times have changed but it doesn't mean that everyone is treated equally like Erin pointed out. Things have gotten better but not entirely. Though at least now when something happens, the victim gets some justice and the culprit get punished.
    -Pavneet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you're right that today, if there was a women being raped or beaten, someone would step in and stop the nonsense. But I personally think that Jane Eyre is a muuuuuuch better example of a "bold" woman because she is well-educated and independent whereas Tess was decently-educated but really obsessed about men and the social view of women at the time. To me, Tess just seeme fragile and weak. But that's just my opinion.
    - Jake S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with what you are saying. I was intrigued by both of the characters and what they truly reperesent. The moral of both stories show a realization how woman still get treated differently.

    -Tamera A

    ReplyDelete