Saturday, November 6, 2010

Frankenstein

"When I found so astonishing a power placed within my hands, I hesitated a long time concerning the manner in which I should employ it . . . I prepared myself for a multitude of reverses; my operations might be incessantly baffled, and at last my work be imperfect: yet when I considered the improvement which every day takes place in science and mechanics, I was encouraged to hope my present attempts would at least lay the foundations of future success."
 With the amount of innovation in technology today, we must constantly reflect on the power we hold and how we choose to use that power. Although it may not seem like it, the world has advanced quite rapidly in the past century and will continue to do so. Computers, cell phones, televisions, video game consoles, and more have dramatically changed forms in a matter of years. Scientists and engineers have developed robots to optimize production and simplify common jobs and have already started to explore the possibilities of android robots, or human-like robots. Although engineering a mechanical robot and bringing a creature to life are different, they raise questions about human limits and boundaries.



The quote above can be applied to modern science. Current research and development in math and science "lay foundations [for the] future" of our world. What struck me the most about this quote was Victor's hesitation. His hesitation is not surprising, however it does speak a lot about how many of us respond in positions of authority. The ability to bring life into an inanimate creature is definitely a powerful ability to hold. As leaders, researches, engineers, and people, we must be careful and responsible with the power we withhold. Although this is debatable, we must take into consideration what is collectively better for everyone. Would this technology do more harm than good? Does this item improve society? Technology is a wonderful thing and it has without a doubt benefited society in numerous ways, but as always we must consider the consequences of the decisions we make.

-Matt A.

No comments:

Post a Comment